- 1 Dog coats are becoming more popular these days because not only do they look charming, but they keep your best friend warm and dry. If you’re living in a country that has some harsh wintery weather then a windproof and waterproof dog coat is an essential item for your dog.
- 2 Tailster’s top 10 dog coats
- 2.1 1) Muddy Paws Storm guard & Fleece Lining Coat
- 2.2 2) Cold Winter Dog Pet Coat Jacket Vest
- 2.3 3) Morezi Cozy Waterproof Windproof Reversible British style Plaid Dog Vest
- 2.4 4) Ancol Muddy Paws Coat and Chest Protector
- 2.5 5) Idepet dog winter coat
- 2.6 6) Thundershirt Anxiety Coat for Dog
- 2.7 7) Kismaple Pe Pet Dog Coat Jacket
- 2.8 8) Morezi Waterproof Dog Jacket, Dog Winter Coat
- 2.9 9) JoyDaog Dog Jacket Puppy Coat
- 2.10 10) Weatherbeeta Reflective Dog Rug (Dog Coat)
- 2.11 The verdict: best dog coats
Dog coats are becoming more popular these days because not only do they look charming, but they keep your best friend warm and dry. If you’re living in a country that has some harsh wintery weather then a windproof and waterproof dog coat is an essential item for your dog.
Dog coats are not useless
Not all dogs need a coat or sweater to keep them warm when venturing outside, but shorter-haired breeds, senior dogs, puppies and dogs with medical conditions do benefit from the additional warmth. Seek pet apparel that adequately covers the neck and belly, and also allows for neck-to-tail protection.
Is my dog cold?
Feeling your dog’s ears is a good way to tell his temperature. If the ears feel cold, particularly around the edges, it might be time to take him inside and cover him with a blanket (or with a coat). You can also touch their body. If it feels cold rather than warm, it is likely your dog is too cold. Dog coats can protect your dog from the wind and those cold chills being thrown about which can make a difference in helping them not getting too cold.
Measuring up for dog coats
- Length: measure from the base of the collar to the base of the tail to find length. This measurement will be the most helpful in measuring a dog coat. Other measurements you may want to consider are girth and neck opening measurements.
- Girth: measure the widest part around your dog’s chest behind the front legs.
- Neck: measure around the neck, where a collar would normally sit.
Tailster’s top 10 dog coats
Here we go. We have a range of dog coats from warm to waterproof and luxury to cheap. Every variant of dog coat is in this list. Happy browsing!
We start off strong here with this reasonably priced dog coat from Ancol. This dog coat has a number of colour and size variants and is Velcro fastening.
This is a well-loved coat amongst dog owners as after approximately 1,800 reviews, 77% are 5 star. This coat is an all-weather style and has a slit for lead.
This is on the warm side of dog coats with also a more retro-style. It’s made from polyester and cotton with a soft, warm inner layer. Again, there are many various sizes and colours to choose from.
This dog coat is suitable for most dogs and is easy to maintain as it’s machine washable – need a birthday gift for your pup?