We completely agree that there’s nothing wrong with buying a cute little bundle of puppy fluff from a reputable breeder – but with so many rescues out there, should we reconsider this?
Here’s just 8 reasons why you should think about adopting a dog next time you’re looking for a new furry friend.
1. You can’t buy love—but you can adopt it from a dogs home (and usually for a lot less money than buying a dog from a breeder). Adoption fees do occur in most cases but these are significantly less than buying a brand new puppy. The dogs home usually just ask for a donation, or the amount to cover certain costs of them being looked after until now.
2. Dog rescue centres often include vaccinations, microchipping, and spaying or neutering in the adoption fee. This leads on from the last point. Your donation to the dogs home would usually cover these veterinary costs.
3. Most older dogs that have formerly had an owner are already housetrained. This obviously isn’t always the case, and accidents do happen, but why wouldn’t you want a doggo that already knows when he should or shouldn’t be going to the toilet?!
4. Rescue centres are great if you don’t have a specific breed in mind. If you go to a rescue centre you will come across dogs that you never knew you needed in your life. There is a dog for everybody, whether you want an old one, a young one, one with lots of hair, one that’s small and fast or one that’s big and slow. There really is someone for everyone. You might just find your new best friend.
5. How do you feel about puppy farms? Although the majority of breeders are registered and above-board, how would you feel if you found out that your new puppy had come from a puppy farm? Even though you may not know that you are, would you be happy supporting practices like this?
6. All that love. Imagine the amount of love you’ll get from a dog that thought he was going to spend the rest of his days in a kennel at a rescue centre!! The look on that face when he never has to go back there again!
7. You could even adopt a dog that currently lives in another country! Not only could you be giving love to a rescue, you could be offering love to a stray overseas!! There are lots of groups that go abroad to rescue stray, street dogs and give them the opportunity of having, in some cases, their first ever home!!
8. Won’t it feel good to save a life? Surely it’s a no-brainer?! Why wouldn’t you want to save the life of a doggo that has had a pretty rubbish time up to now?
And if you need any help finding a loving pet care for your pet, you make a request below. It’s free and it only takes 30 seconds – let’s see who we can find for you.