Here at Tailster we thought we knew all there was to know about dogs, but although we hate to admit it, we might not have actually known everything…..
After reading through lots of interesting facts about man's best friend, we thought we’d compile a list of our favourite facts, and those that we think you might not have known either.
So here’s a list of twenty things you might not have known about your furry friends.
(As well as just being great facts, you never know when you might be stuck in a pub quiz and with Tailster’s help grab those extra points!!)
Did you know…
1. The UK Kennel Club has registered 217 breeds - but they are all the same species – Canis familiaris.
2. There are seven different main breed groups in the UK: Gundog, Hound, Pastoral, Terrier, Toy, Utility and Working. (okay, I feel like you might have known that one, but like I said, you never know when it’ll be in a quiz!
3. Dogs are famous for their incredible sense of smell, which is unsurprising given they have roughly forty times more smell-sensitive receptors than humans.
4. The reason dogs curl up is because of an age-old instinct to keep themselves warm and to protect vital organs while they sleep.
5. In a study done by scholars at the University of California, it was found that dogs can get jealous if they see their humans displaying affection toward something or someone else. (I’m sure we’ve all had first hand experience of this - I know I have!!).
6. Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they are born and develop their spots as they grow older.
7. Dogs and humans have the same type of slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM) and during this REM stage dogs can dream. The twitching and paw movements that occur during their sleep are signs that your pet is dreaming.
8. Dogs’ eyes contain a special membrane, called the tapetum lucidum, which allows them to see in the dark.
9. A dog’s nose print is as unique as a human’s fingerprint and can be used for identification purposes.
10. Smaller breeds mature faster than bigger breeds.
11. Apple seeds may be dangerous (and even fatal) for our four-legged friends. They contain arsenic.
12. The Bible mentions dogs 14 times. Cats aren’t mentioned - sorry cats.
13. Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic.
14. If your dog is acting strange it might be because there’s a storm brewing. Dogs can hear, smell, and feel a change in the weather long before us.
15. Puppies are born blind, deaf, and toothless.
16. The first sense puppies develop is touch.
17. Tiny dogs, like Chihuahuas, can hear sounds in higher ranges than big dogs.
18. When dogs dig after pooing, they're not burying anything – they're marking their territory using scent glands in their paws.
19. Research shows that Dogs are the only animals in the animal kingdom that can read the emotions on your face much like humans.
20. Humans have domesticated dogs and kept them as pets for over 12,000 years.
That was just 20 of our favourite dog facts, but if you think you have any, more entertaining or interesting than this, get involved and post them in the comments to share them with us and the rest of the Tailster community!!
And if you need any help finding a loving pet care for your pet, you make a request below. It’s free and it only takes 30 seconds - let’s see who we can find for you.